Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Alice's Playing Card

  
This week we experimented with brushes in photo shop. This assignment was to create the back of a playing card. Automatically, I knew what concept I wanted to apply to my card: Alice in Wonderland.  This assignment was probably my most detailed yet. I wanted the design to be creative and odd, just like Alice's adventures. 

I found a couple of Alice in Wonderland paint brushes. But, the ones I ended up using for this design came from:  http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/157665723. These brushes can be found off the adobe website as well. 

I uploaded these brushes. I selected the Alice brush (the picture in the middle), I adjusted the size and changed the color. I put this on a separate layer so I could go back and adjust, if needed. I made the inside and outside borders using the paint tool while holding 'command', to ensure a straight line. The border designs is what was most difficult about the design. I focused on repetition for the borders. All the image seen are brushes, but I had to adjust them differently than I would a image. To rotate or flip images (which are seen throughout) I opened a new Photoshop document. I dragged the layer into the new document. Then, I rotate/flipped the image and dragged back into the original document and adjusted as needed. The top and bottom are identical (just flipped) and the sides are identical (just rotated). The star like brushes on the left-hand and right hand of the border are not identical. They were added on, after the fact. I did this to add something unexpected to the piece, and I think it gave it a nice touch as well. As far as the colors I choose, the red and black reminded me of a deck or cards as well as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.


No comments:

Post a Comment